Monday 16 July 2012

Thing 4: Feeds and Tweeting- More of a Dodo than a Lark


I have now (finally) got round to starting my very own Twitter account, hurrah for me! I have thus far eschewed Facebook (can’t quite put my finger on why), but Twitter appeals to me more as I’m hopeful that it will be a useful tool for keeping up-to-date with the latest goings on in the library and archives world. I have subsequently decided that I shall keep Twitter ‘strictly business’, as it were (although I am currently trying to find a means to justify to myself that perhaps following Stephen Fry would be an entirely intellectual/professional  decision…does that sound convincing?)  With both RSS feeds and Twitter I think there is the danger of assuming the ‘child in a sweetshop’ or more pertinently in my case, the ‘girl in a bookshop’ mentality- i.e. getting a tad over excited and wanting everything!  I need to assume some kind of self-control in order to quell my primary urge of gathering in more than I can possibly read! There is a distinct risk of information overload with both of these tools (although this doesn’t sound like a bad way to go if you ask me!) At present I am quite content to lurk (in a completely non-sinister way) in the background of Twitter and keep an eye on what’s afoot. I shall get my act together soon and try and be more involved. I do however recall someone else saying (please forgive me, I cannot at present remember where or from whom I heard this) that with Twitter there is a sense of dropping in late to a conversation and missing the gist of what’s going on.  I hope this won’t be the case and I can keep up with those I’m following (still not sure about this following/followers lark- does alarmingly bring to mind cultic behaviours).

P.S. I have dexterously avoided mentioning Storify thus far as I can’t quite get my head round it just yet. One for the future methinks!

No comments:

Post a Comment