Sunday 2 September 2012

Thing 15: Attending to Things....a standing oration!

Without wishing to sound like a stuck record, I haven't had much experience of attending conferences or of public speaking, yet. I lay stress on the yet as it is something that I want and hope to do, just feel a little that it would be something I would be more comfortable with when I've landed myself a professional position (particularly with regards to giving my own presentation...would want to feel that I had plenty to witter about and would not, Heaven forfend, bore a crowd to tears). Having said that I have given little talks to small groups of people and it is a struggle (I have found) to squeeze all the information in within a small time frame-particularly if like me, there is the tendency to get overexcited and carried away...that's when the wild gesticulating starts, of dear! I have in the past attended a lecture in a museum, when just such an instance occurred and there was the rather unfortunate problem of the audience leaving en masse amid a particularly effusive section of the talk for fear of missing their trains and buses...I suppose therefore, timing really is everything!
 It has been good to read the tips and advice about presenting and attending conferences, so I do feel forearmed for the time when I do get to engage with this side of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment