Monday 17 September 2012

Thing 16: Use it or lose it, advocating things!

Have to admit initially I was rather daunted about tackling this thing, as I wasn’t really sure what I would have to contribute. I don’t really feel I have done much advocating in any formal sense. I haven’t had anything published on the subject and I certainly haven’t crossed the divide from advocacy to activism on behalf of libraries (I have done a bit of placard shaking when younger in defence of ducks of all things…...don’t ask!) Saying this though I do take an active interest (as we all should) in the current state of libraries- their position and future and one of the initial things that I wanted to gain from cpd23 was more current awareness (and with greater knowledge I hope that I can make a meaningful contribution with regards to advocacy).  This is something I have pursued and I follow groups such a Voices for the Library, the Library Campaign, We Need Libraries etc. and various blogs.
However, having thought about things a bit more I suppose I have played a small hand in advocating libraries. I sign petitions in support of threatened libraries (for example the recent Mendham petition to save this precious collection from dispersal) and would encourage others to follow suit (here’s a link to this particular petition by the way, if you too would like to sign). Also, I’m all for (as a family phrase runs) giving ‘praise where praise is due’, offering positive feedback on the marvellous work of libraries and librarians.
I’ve also been lucky enough to be involved in a small degree in encouraging younger users to gain an appreciation of the fantastic resources and opportunities which the library and glorious librarians can offer (start them young I say…..I was hooked from a young age!) Indeed something I’m very desirous to achieve in my career is opening people’s eyes to libraries and archives and all that can be gained from them and their ultimate value to all.
I think something that everyone should try and do by way of advocacy is simply using libraries and the sad fact is that in this day and age it is a case of ‘use them or lose them’, which would be an absolute tragedy. I for one am an avid library user and proud (quick get me a soap box!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment