Monday 17 September 2012

Thing 18: By Jing(o)!

Screen capture for me has amounted in the past to no more than the PrtSc button on my keyboard and the closest I’ve ever come to podcasting has involved growing peas, so Thing 18 was a bit different for me! Having read the posting on cpd23 and watched some of the suggested videos, I also went and had a poke at those offered on the free Alison course page (really not going to rock the world a great deal, but they do the job of offering an overview of what’s what if anyone is interested). 

Jing all looks remarkably straightforward, which is what I like (why make life more complicated I say). The download was simple enough, although had to stall a bit in order to install Microsoft .Net Framework 4 (???)  which you apparently need to have Jing (I just let it do its thing) and then Jing itself was done in a flash. Then all that was needed was the basic registration (another password to remember…feel like I’m collecting them at the moment!) and off you go!
First thing I tackled upon installation was to add a customised ‘Embed’ button so that I could add my Jing ‘captures’ to my blog (i.e. a button that would give me the HTML code). Again, very easy to do (here’s the video of how to do it just in case). And now I’m up and running!
Confession time, I’ve not downloaded or got into the podcasting stuff as yet in terms of making my own. I have listened to some and quality can be rather hit and miss (heard one the other day that sounded like it had a door constantly banging in the background…drove me a bit potty). Just don’t feel I have need of this for now, maybe one day I’ll think ‘oo you know what this needs? A podcast’ and in fairness, I’ll know what to do to make it happen (which is handy, thank you very much)! But at the present moment I’ll stick to being an audience member.
Ah well, here’s my very first Jing Thing:


No comments:

Post a Comment